.....Then comes the comments
"Why wouldn't you just use disposable?"
"Your baby won't reach mile stones on time"
"All your clothing will smell like poo!"
Let's figure out how to combat that negativity!!!
First, remember they do not know what they think they know about cloth diapering, don't get angry keep your cool.
Here are 5 ways to help you get over this speed bump.
1. Determine what motivates others. While your spouse might be motivated by the cost savings your childcare provider might be motivated by ease of use. Your friends might be convinced with environmentally friendly. Let that motivator be your focus when explaining to them why you are choosing cloth diapers for your baby. Also it never hurts to pull out some cloth diapering statistics such as it is estimated that it takes 250-500 years for disposables to decompose in a landfill!
2. Consider a name change. Call them reusable diapers, modern cloth diapers, or call them by brand name (i.e. Soft Bums) when introducing them to others.
3. Show them off. Having a sample diaper on hand to explain how they work can help ease most people’s fears about cloth diapers. Remember that most people still haven’t seen all the new varieties of cloth diapers that are available. When people think of cloth diapers they think of the safety pin and rubber pants! Get ready to have their mind blown away with awesomeness!
4. Remember to talk about how easy they are to use. They are just as easy as disposable diapers. Debunk the common myths like having to swish them in the toilet. Show them diaper sprayers and even spray shields such as Spray Pal!
5. Ask them to consider a trial period. If you are approaching a childcare facility or caregiver about cloth diapering and you receive any hesitations have them consider a trial period. Chances are that after they see how easy they are to use they won’t object.
At first when I was told by my best friend that she was cloth diapering her daughter, I gave the stink eye too. But with some simple explanation and some research it was a hook line and sinker for me. Educate them and watch the stink eye turn into WOW!